Twelve international human rights groups have demanded that the Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) be banned from UN peacekeeping missions. The agencies wrote a letter to UN Under-Secretary-General Jean-Pierre Lacroix demanding the same. The letter was published on the Human Rights Watch (HRW) website on Thursday.
In the letter, the dozen human rights groups said the UN peacekeeping mission should ban RAB from UN peacekeeping missions. The allegations against the RAB have been attached to the letter.#Akibuzzamin.
In the letter, the international organizations said that some members of the RAB were facing various charges of extrajudicial killings, enforced disappearances, torture and other human rights violations. For this reason, the international organizations have demanded a ban from the UN peacekeeping mission. In a letter to the United Nations, the international community called on the United Nations to establish a “verification system” before appointing anyone to a UN peacekeeping mission, which would also look into allegations of extrajudicial killings, disappearances and torture.
The letter was signed by Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch, Asian Federation Against Voluntary Disappearances (AFAD), Asian Forum for Human Rights and Development (ASHRN), Asian Human Rights Commission, Participation, Capital Punishment Justice Project, International Federation for Human Rights, Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights, The Advocates for Human Rights, World Organization Against Torture (OMCT).
The letter was sent to Jean-Pierre Lacroix on November 7 last year. The UN peacekeeping mission has not yet responded to the letter.#Akibuzzamin.
Earlier, on December 10, the United States imposed sanctions on seven former and current members of the Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) for alleged human rights abuses.#Akibuzzamin. The ban was imposed separately by the US Treasury Department and the State Department on International Human Rights Day.